Electrical Design Engineer
Location: Farnborough, UK
LOMA SYSTEMS® is a premier manufacturer of Check and Detect inspection equipment used to identify contaminants and product defects in the food and pharmaceutical industries. Established in the UK in the 1960’s, Loma Systems is today one of the leading global companies involved in production line safety systems, boasting an impressive installed base of over 125,000 machines in over 100 countries. Our talented team of people work across the world in a friendly, supportive work environment and with a no politics culture, there is nothing to stop you reaching your full potential.
We are part of Illinois Tool Works (ITW), a global Fortune 250 diversified industrial manufacturer of value added consumables and speciality equipment with related service businesses. Operating under the core philosophies of 80/20 business processes, customer-back innovation and a decentralized entrepreneurial culture, the company focuses on solid growth, improving profitability and strong returns across its worldwide platforms and divisions. These divisions serve customers and markets around the globe, with significant presence in developed and emerging markets. ITW’s revenues totalled US$13.6 billion in 2016, with more than 50,000 employees worldwide.
An exciting role working within a fast paced engineering team to design production drawings for customer applications. Proving technical support to new development products, the successful candidate will be a subject mater expert (SME) in Solidworks Electrical.
- To process orders by creating accurate, cost effective and technically sound designs for machines, that meet the customer’s requirements.
- Knowledge transfer of latest Solid Works methods to improve team member efficiency.
- Generate ideas and designs for product improvements
- Work as part of Project Teams to deliver R&D Projects
- Produce design concepts develop electrical/mechanical modules to support standardisation and reduced costs.
- To participate in project teams and project development teams as appropriate
- Management of designs and improvements through the Product Change Note (PCN) process.
- Provide support for Production with trouble shooting during the testing of machines.
- Development of initiatives to ensure continuous improvement regarding efficiency, quality and health & safety.
- Preparation of information required to allow the manufacturing of components and assemblies.
- In addition to the duties listed above, the position holder must carry out tasks assigned by their supervisor that are essentially related to their duties.
- Solid Works & Auto Cad Electrical Expert or other electrical design tools.
- Understand control panel components such as relays, circuit breakers, main isolators, transformers; understand the principals of using various electrical components from power source to the field device; able to read and interpret electrical drawings; understand the difference between single and 3 phase and 230/115/24 volt controls and various types of analogue signals
- PLC programing
- Understanding of relevant CE machinery directive standards including 60204 and 13849-1.
- Experience of SISTEMA software utility (Safety Integrity Software Tool for the Evaluation of Machine Applica- tions)
- Experience in working in an engineering, order processing role
- Practical engineering experience
- Experience using business systems to create costed bills of materials for prototypes.
- Experience of bringing conceptual designs through in to production.
- Understanding of the design requirement for equipment intended for the Food Industry.
- Willing to take a hands-on approach
- Attention to detail
- Ability and willingness to transfer knowledge team members and other members of the organisation
- Good team player, with good communication skills
- HNC or Degree in the relevant engineering discipline
- Understanding of / exposure to variable speed drives, and communication protocols such as Modbus, Profibus and Ethernet
- Competitive Salary
- Excellent Pension with Critical illness cover
- Cycle to work scheme, Childcare vouchers
- Free Parking