Field Service Engineer
Location:Bakersfield, CA, USA
LOMA SYSTEMS® is a premier manufacturer of Check and Detect inspection equipment used to identify contaminants and product defects in the food and pharmaceutical industries. Established in the UK in the 1960’s, Loma Systems is today one of the leading global companies involved in production line safety systems, boasting an impressive installed base of over 125,000 machines in over 100 countries. Our talented team of people work across the world in a friendly, supportive work environment and with a no politics culture, there is nothing to stop you reaching your full potential.
We are part of Illinois Tool Works (ITW), a global Fortune 250 diversified industrial manufacturer of value added consumables and speciality equipment with related service businesses. Operating under the core philosophies of 80/20 business processes, customer-back innovation and a decentralized entrepreneurial culture, the company focuses on solid growth, improving profitability and strong returns across its worldwide platforms and divisions. These divisions serve customers and markets around the globe, with significant presence in developed and emerging markets. ITW’s revenues totalled US$13.6 billion in 2016, with more than 50,000 employees worldwide.
The Field Service Engineer (FSE) services our Metal Detection, X-Ray and Checkweiging products at Loma’s customer sites throughout USA. The FSE does so in a manner consistent with Loma Systems policies and procedures while delivering exceptional customer service and promoting Loma Systems as the best in class operator.
- Travel and deliver efficient field support to our customers in the food and pharmaceutical industries.
- Verify that machines are operating at peak efficiency by proper calibration and testing.
- Commission and test machines using certified test procedures, perform preventative maintenance and emergency service at customer sites.
- Accurately document and report all service-related activities. These include, but are not limited to submitting Electronic Service Reports, Calibration Reports and Expense Reports at appropriate intervals per company established procedures.
- Promote sales of additional Loma product offerings such as service contracts, new equipment leads, spare parts kits, etc.
- Provide timely feedback on equipment reliability and design.
- Maintain a satisfactory parts inventory and requisition additional parts required to perform normal FSE duties.
- Maintain all company property, including laptop, cell phone, safety equipment and tools in good working condition.
- Exercise safe working practices and procedures at all times.
- Conduct on-site training with customer’s personnel to ensure proper operation of equipment.
- Hold meetings with customers, including scope and exit meetings.
- Participate in the rotation of weekend on-call duties and after-hours phone support.
- At Loma’s team environment, frequently communicate between the field and the internal office support staff on technical related issues.
- Attend refresher training classes and FSE meetings with other service team members to promote continuous improvement of technical and non-technical skillsets.
- In addition to the duties listed above, the position holder must carry out tasks assigned by their supervisor that are essentially related to their duties.
- High school diploma required. Associates degree from a technical school preferred.
- Minimum 5 years of previous experience in field customer service work or 4 years of military experience required.
- Take pride in being organized with regards to completion of paperwork, expense reports, etc.
- Must be self-motivated with an inner drive to exceed expectations.
- Ability to read, comprehend and interpret complex technical information involving mechanics and electronics. This includes interpretation of schematics and electrical diagrams.
- Professional communication with an ability to resolve customer issues and defuse conflict.
- Must be capable of a desire to learn a diverse set of products and continually improving product knowledge
- Strong ability to use electronic test equipment such as Multi-meters.
- Ability to accept changes in a fast paced and changing environment; enjoy taking a hands-on approach in solving problems.
- Work independently with little supervision while managing difficult and high-pressure customer situations.
- Proficient with office software applications required.
- Ability to work overtime and weekends.
Physical & Environment Requirements:
- Must have a valid driver’s license and a good driving record.
- Must be able to travel extensively (80% or more approximately) as required to service our customers.
- Must be able to work within tight spaces and environments that may be noisy, odorous, dusty, cold and hot on a regular basis.
- Must be able to lift and/or move up to 60 lbs. regularly.
- Must be able to stand for long periods of time as well as walk, twist, bend, kneel, crawl, crouch, reach, climb and work in awkward positions on a regular basis.
Along with opportunities for career growth and development, Loma Systems provides a comprehensive benefits package, in conjunction with ITW, which supports our employees’ educational endeavors, wellness and financial security. Here are some of the features our comprehensive package has to offer:
- Medical, dental and vision benefits
- 401(k) retirement savings program
- Paid vacation, sick days and holidays
- Wellness and fitness program
- Life insurance up to 8x the salary
- Advancement opportunities
- Educational assistance
- Employee assistance program
- Employee discounts with the ITW key suppliers: cars, computers, appliances and more